Since turning 30 is considered such a milestone in a person’s life, I thought it appropriate to create a list of 30 basic principles or realizations I’ve learned and acquired over the course of mine.
Some of them have come from observation, some from my own experiences, some are funny, some are serious… but all very important. Take from them what you will.
In no particular order:
1. Friends are extremely important.
2. Life is entirely too short.
3. You can never replace your family so appreciate and love them – even if it is difficult sometimes.
4. You can’t change anyone but yourself – so if you don’t like something, look in the mirror and try to improve from there.
5. God is the only true thing that will never let you down.
6. Don’t spend more than you make.
7. Forgiving someone is golden.
8. Everything in your life happens in baby steps so don’t try to rush it, you’ll just be left with frustration.
9. Cats multiply entirely too quickly. (For those of you who know me, you will understand this one).
10. Always stop to take in and appreciate the simple things, those are often the best gifts you’ll ever receive.
11. Listen to people older than you, they often have more wisdom whether you are willing to admit it or not.
12. Hard work is the only way to be truly successful.
13. It is through difficulties that we build our character, however it is through prosperity that we demonstrate our character.
14. You can learn something from everyone you meet if you just pay attention.
15. Life isn’t easy, but it’s so worth it.
16. My mom is the best friend I’ll ever have.
17. Boredom is a symptom of laziness.
18. Always keep toilet paper readily available in the house.
19. While it is exciting to travel and see the world, there’s no place like home.
20. Always listen to your gut – your heart is too emotional and your head overthinks everything.
21. You can never go wrong by giving something of yourself to another.
22. Despite the best planning, sometimes life’s detours allow you to experience the sweetest moments of your life.
23. Turning the stove on does help your effort to boil a pot of water.
24. Lying only leads to consequences. (You can thank my parents for that realization).
25. Loving someone and allowing them to love you back is one of the hardest but most rewarding adventures you’ll ever go on.
26. New cars can be wrecked and damaged just as easily as old cars.
27. Pick your battles.
28. You must do something productive every day.
29. Doing something that will put a smile on another’s face is never a waste.
30. 30 is just a number.
This doesn’t even begin to scrape the surface of thirty years of lessons but hopefully this gives you a small idea of what I’ve learned along the way. It’s hard to believe I have three decades of life experiences behind me. A Spot of Thankfulness for today, my 30th birthday, is that I am grateful for the wonderful life I’ve had so far and I’m now looking toward the next thirty in hopes they’ll be the best years of my life.